Thursday, December 11, 2008

An Afternoon with Mediacorp Chinese Current Affairs

Currently, the topic of kidney transplantation and the plight of kidney patients has been of much focus in the media... ever since the NKF saga in 2005 and the conviction of Mr Tang for organ trading. I met this lady called Dawn from Mediacorp 2 years ago, when she was doing a coverage on how difficult it was for dialysis patients to seek employment outside. Well, Dawn emailed me last week and wanted some resources on kidney transplantation and some people I knew who had a successful transplant. Much to her surprise, I had a successful transplantation and was exactly whom she was looking for! In my heart, I really wanted to help the dialysis patients in Singapore. But I did not know how. I am glad that this opportunity came to create awareness of the benefits of organ transplantation thru the media. I know of my friends who are still undergoing dialysis, and some of them are in the waiting list for an organ. They waited and waited, but no kidneys came along. I have a friend who waited for 17 years! Imagine having to undergo dialysis for 17 years! I only went thru the painful ordeal for 4 years and I was totally drained out physically by the regular dialysis. 17 years... she must have suffered much... I really hope this coverage will help Singaporeans be aware of the plight of dialysis patients and other patients waiting for organ transplant in Singapore. I hope the story of my brother's love and sacrifice can inspire healthy and able bodied people to offer the gift of life to their family members or loved ones who are in need. And people should know that donating their kidneys is an noble act, and we can still live fulfilling lives with one kidney. Yes, there may be risks, but the risks are low... and to grant a loved one a 2nd chance in life, to me, the risk is worth under-taking.

Lastly, I would like to say to my brother, Caleb, "Without you, I will not be around. Thank you for giving me this new life. All praise to God for letting us be brothers in this life. I will be there for you just like how you are there for me. I will not forget your kindness and love till my last breath and even in eternity. God Bless You." Catch the both of us on Channel 8 this Friday 19th Dec 2008 at 10.30pm!

No comments: