Sunday, January 3, 2010

Ushering the Year 2010!

It’s the beginning of a new year again. More importantly, it is the beginning of a new decade. The last 10 years have been eventful for the world and for me personally. In 2001, we have the earth shattering news of the 9/11, which sparked off a series of wars, terrorism, etc. In 2003, we have the SARS, and we witness the strength of the human spirit in battle against the virus. Tsunami came in 2004 Boxing Day, and a quarter million lives were claimed. 2007 was the beginning of the sub prime crisis, which culminated in Oct 2008, after the fall of Lehman Brothers. In view of all these which happened, 2009 seemed like a pretty peaceful year.

There were inspiring trends too. Technology advanced so much from desktops to notebooks to netbooks and to surfing net on our mobiles. Social media and networking took an exponential rise with the emergence of Friendster, Youtube, Facebook and Twitter. With these advancements, it makes one wonder how will the face of digital media change over the next decade. I am excited, are you?

Personally, my life was also like a roller coaster. In 2000, I tasted the first failure of my relationship. It was bitter. Following which, I went into depression and lost the focus of my life when I learned that I could not fulfill my ambition as a doctor, in which I held dearly for 6 years. I went into the pharmaceutical course in university instead. Still I was lost and depressed, which translated to a collapse of my health with my underlying childhood illness. In 2001, I was admitted to the hospital for 1 month and had to quit my school. Life at that time took a standstill.

I was in recuperation for half year when I really reflected on my life and my faith in God. My pursuits in life changed from academic achievements and money to family and friendships. My faith in God was renewed and I was given a new name, Graham, which means ‘homestead’. Family was what really matters at the end of life. I had also the new vision to set up a foundation to help families who are lost, sick, poor and needy. Thus in 2002, I went into Business Studies, majoring in Finance, in order to learn the ropes of managing and growing money.

In the course of my studies, there were so many thanksgiving miracles that I will not elaborate here. God gave me the mercy, grace, strength and the wisdom to study despite my frequent fainting spells, doctor visits and feeling physically weak most of the time. In 2004, last semester of my studies, I had to undergo dialysis for the next 4 years. I was definitely depressed, but God sustained me, and even gave me motivation to study harder, resulting in the best semester of my studies and graduating with an Honors degree.

In 2005, I went into the Financial Advisory Business full time with the knowledge on finance and the desire to help families. It was challenging, but fruitful period of my life. Thorough my work as a financial advisor, I am able to share in the lives of my clients and help them even beyond personal finance. I grew as a professional through CFP studies and also as a person through my life interactions with clients.

In 2008, I received the news that my heart is failing due to the frequent dialysis of 3 times a week. I needed a kidney transplant urgently as I will not be able to go for the operation if my heart continues to fail. Without a transplant, I had only 5 years to live. I was only 28 at that time. I felt helpless. My brother, who was then 22 years old, agreed to donate his kidney to me and save my life. I am forever grateful to his act of kindness. Family is whom you can count on in times of crisis. Sadly, many people in this time and age do not have close ties with their families, as seen in my interactions with people. I consider myself to be very fortunate.

Also, through my ordeal, I got closer to a personal friend, Sharon, and we became an item. This wonderful lady did not mind my medical issues and stood by me through the darkest moment in my life. I was very touched and intend to marry her if I could survive the operation.

Few days before I was wheeled into the operating theatre, the cardiologist advised me against going for the operation as my heart is very weak. I cried. I felt that my only hope was gone. However, my renal doctor said we had to take this chance, if not there is no hope. Thus, we made the decision to carry on with the major operation. At that moment, I knew how it felt to surrender my whole life to God. Whether I come out alive in the operation will be His call, not mine. With that peace, I closed my eyes.

I was reborn on 29 Sep 2008, 3 days before my actual birthday. I regained the use of my kidney and all body functions were back in place. My heart was 100% normal again. I had a new lease of life, a 2nd chance in life. And I am not going to waste a single moment in my life. Therefore, in 10 Jan 2009, I proposed to Sharon and she said yes! I couldn't’t believe my ears.

2009 was a year of total transformation. From a dialysis patient with no hopes of ever getting married, I was a healthy man preparing for marriage with the woman of my dreams. We had good mentors who guided us in our premarital training and eventually walked into the marriage covenant on 10 Oct 2009.

I am now a husband, and I truly understood the meaning of my name Graham. I am to build a family based on godly principles. I experienced true love and family ties. This is my call in life and I will continue to fulfill it day after day, by loving my wife. As a financial advisor and trainer to families, it is my divine duty to ensure that their family foundations are in place. This is my vision for 2010.

What is your vision for 2010?

No comments: