Monday, August 16, 2010

A Time with the Next Generation




I will be 30 years old this year. And a session with the Victoria School students during one of my workshops with them reminded me of my teenage years in school. The students, like me 15 years ago, were buzzing with energy when we played the stock market game with them.

They were so inquisitive, and kept on bugging the facilitators to tell them the “news” that was to come the next round of the game. To me, it was such a joy to see them having fun with their friends and learning at the same time.









I too was overjoyed when given the opportunity to share my life story with them. To inspire the next generation is indeed my calling and I feel so much satisfaction when I taught them basic life skills such as budgeting and planning for the future. I also drove home in their hearts the importance of savings, which to me is the fundamental ingredient for financial success when they grow up. Too many young adults today are caught in the trap of credit cards and sucked into the bottomless pit of debt.

Finally, I shared with them investment concepts and some ideas which they could apply immediately in the game.







It was also hilarious when we saw the faces of the participants as they see their stock prices rise and fall. We truly had a great time.









That day with the next generation was very memorable. 400 students were seated and listened to me share my arduous journey with illness and overcoming all odds to become who I am today.








They were greatly inspired and I knew I had deposited something special into their hearts as I read their feedback forms. One of them said, “This is the best post exam activity I ever had!” And other wrote, “Greatly inspiring and fun.”









To me, the next generation means hope for the future. It means lives that will make a positive difference in the world we live in. And it means we have the responsibility to impart timeless values to them that will nurture them to be leaders for tomorrow.

No comments: